Mark of the Raven Book Review
Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga Book #1)
Lady Selene is the heir to the Great House of Ravenwood and the secret family gift of dreamwalking. As a dreamwalker, she can enter a person's dreams and manipulate their greatest fears or ...
This book was amazing! The writing was beautiful and the descriptions well-written while still leaving room for imagination. The battle between good and evil was vividly shown as was the struggle between light and dark. Perfectly and evenly paced, the narrative flowed well hold the reader’s attention captive. Damien’s kindness and wisdom are heartwarming. The characters are flawed but the focus of the story isn’t on gritty realism but on the hope that shines through. The magic system is perfectly executed and feels original. The themes made the story memorable and impactful! Ending in a cliffhanger, I greatly anticipated the next book!
I would recommend this book for readers 13+ because of some intensity and dark moments.
- Selene and a few other characters have a made-up curse word
- A couple of characters “swear under their breath”
- Selene witnesses others’ graphic dreamscapes. Someone accidentally starts a fire that kills their parents; Selene’s servant experiences a bandit raid; someone watches a wolf kill her father.
- While some violence is described, none is overly graphic.
- House Ravenwood worships the Dark Lady (which is explored more in the next book)
- Other houses worship old gods
- House Maris worships the Light (which represents God).
- The battle between Light and Dark is vivid
- Selene wonders how her younger sister was born since her parents don’t love each other.
- Some flirtatious remarks
- In a dreamscape, Selene watches Renata’s worst fears. Renata’s people are attacked by bandits and a couple of men pull her behind a tree. Selene says she knows what Renata’s most hateful memory is, but nothing is described.
Themes: Loyalty, courage, leadership, sacrifice, good vs. evil, compassion, mercy, love
I’m a part of the Amazon Affiliates Program. If you purchase Mark of the Raven from one of these links, I may receive a small commission. Thanks so much!